Sunday again, that sounds like I don’t like Sundays. That’s not so, Sunday is my favourite day as I choose to do what I want. I wake up late, breakfast and then do whatever. I do plan to write a blog every Sunday as well, if you want to keep up to date with them click here.
Today as it is nearly Christmas, we went to buy a Christmas tree, I do have thoughts about bringing in a tree to my house to decorate it whilst it slowly dies so we always buy one planted and with roots, at least on has survived and is now living in my garden, others haven’t been so lucky.
Is it lucky or is it the opportunities that we gave it, kept it watered, not too hot and not in the house too long.
We all have these opportunities but the secret is to firstly notice them then take the opportunity the opportunity offers. Trees will take the opportunity when it is presented for water and nourishment out of the earth and air, us humans sometimes rationalise and generally think too much and then miss the opportunity. We have loads of names for missing opportunities,
- deflection – changing the subject because current subject doesn’t feel comfortable
- blame – blaming others and not realising there’s an opportunity hiding in the blame
- shame – feeling that the opportunity is outside the comfort zone or norm and the opportunity make you feel ashamed of yourself
- anxiety – my personal favourite, worrying about the bad things that could happen if I took the opportunity
- Its not for me – the opportunity will push me and I can’t possibly take this opportunity because … (add your own words)
The list is probably endless, most of us like to live in our own little bubble, I’ve written about that a few times, here’s one that you may want to read.
It’s safe in our bubble, we know what’s going on in our bubble, things and people can’t hurt us or so we belief in our bubble.
What our bubble doesn’t allow is any change, we don’t develop. There’s plenty of good reasons to live in your own bubble, it was right once but life and time moves on, if you’re stuck in the past in your bubble for some reason
- you haven’t resolved the reason you found it safe in your bubble
- you may feel that one or more of the points above are valid for you
- you haven’t discovered that
- you are in a bubble
- you know you’re in a bubble but you can’t find a way out
As I wrote above, the first thing to happen is to stop and notice, you may need some help in that, everything will be normal to you, that’s what happens you your bubble. You sometimes need someone to prod and poke you, that’s the job I do; get you to notice things you know about but you deny their existence. It’s challenging to discover that you have avoided and squandered many opportunities over the year and it was your beliefs that held you back.
I still miss opportunities and I still use those listed above but I’m getting better at noticing the urge to stay in my bubble. This work is continual and we all need someone to talk about ‘the elephant in the room’.
If you want more information or want to get an email when I write my next blog, click on “Subscribe to my mail list” at the top of the page.