Today I was thinking about writing about tricks and techniques but over breakfast I thought how about writing about eating.
So today I’m going to write about eating, I guess we always at least three times a day what are you aware of what you’re waiting; I know I’m not always aware, if I’m ravenous my food just disappears of the plate and if I do this too often I will need to get a larger longer belt and possibly a new wardrobe to fit my new larger sizes.
Perhaps the more aware of what I’m eating when I’m eating could help, personally I will enjoy my food more and I would get full for quicker with less food.
So a win win situation.
Yesterday I wrote about tricks and techniques so there are tricks and techniques in eating food, firstly sit at a table turn the TV and move your Mobile devices away from the table even better put them in another room. Now before you pick up your knife and fork or maybe your spoon, take time to look at your food enjoy the anticipation of what you are going to eat. Now decide where are you going to start eating your meal. Cut up a bite size, stop and cut it in half now pop that in your mouth take a few moments to enjoy the taste, the temperature and sensation of the food.
Place your cutlery on your plate.
Now chew your food a little longer than you normally do all the time and enjoying the taste, the temperature and the sensation of the food.
Once that mouthful of food has gone, repeat but always remember to put your cutlery back on the plate when you are eating.
This all sounds like the normal stuff for helping you to manage your food intake, they are, these are the tricks to get you to notice what you are up to when you are eating, getting you to notice that there many ways to eat food, I do most of them, but sometimes eating needs to be reset, and these tricks help me to reset my eating habits. These tricks aren’t much about Alexander’s discovery but if you use these tricks with Alexander’s discovery, the tricks work so much better.
Alexander’s discovery is being aware of your head neck back relationship, observing your own freedom and elegance without trying to interfere with your beautiful elegance.
To understand Alexander’s discovery there’s a whole host of tricks and techniques to understand and then let go of. Like yesterdays blog, just like learning to ride a bike, you may have learnt with stabilisers but once learnt you would never use them again.
If you are wondering what these tricks and techniques are, here are some of them;
- Being aware of your local environment
- Being aware of yourself in the local environment
- Being aware of these two at the same time
- Filling your own space with yourself
- Being where you are, not drifting off into the future or past
- Knowing you are safe in this very moment
- Allowing things to be what they are
- Not trying to be someone who you are not
A teacher can help with all of these and they have their own tricks and techniques to help you to learn.
- Transferring their calming presence through touch
- Inviting you to own your own space though touch and an invitation to move freely
- Verbal instructions for the above
- Observation of your habits and behavours and asking non-judgmental questions for you to notice how you move.
- Inviting you to discover your own freedom and elegance as you learn about your head neck back relationship.
These are just a few of the tricks and techniques, if you want to know more you can always join my mailing list.