- DO YOU ever have the thought of ah, I’ve arrived, then stop and switch everything off?
What I mean is switching your awareness off! Sometimes this is a very good thing and sometimes not so good. If it’s automatic then you don’t have the option to decide if it is good or not so good.
- DO YOU seem to get pain somewhere when you do a particular activity?
Being in auto may be the reason why you have pain, you will have a habitual movement plan that you use that triggers pain, wouldn’t it be great to renew your movement plan!
There are many ways to suppress or relieve pain but somehow does your pain keeps coming back?
- How can you get sustained relief from pain?
These questions can be answered by raising your awareness of yourself, you can get part way on your own however to get the full embodiment of yourself you will need help. You need a mirror of some sort, a real mirror, watch yourself on video or get someone with the skills I have to observe what you do in activity and then work together to develop a new movement plan that is pain free, this may seem impossible to achieve, I know it is not as I’ve witnessed it many times.
Pain may be coming back because of how you do things, you may work in auto without noticing very much; I’m sure you have wondered how
- Your tea was made,
- You missed a road junction on a road you travel regularly on,
- If you cleaned your teeth this morning?
We are odd creatures; things get so habitual we don’t know we have done them.
This is equally true to how we do things,
- Straining our eyes to look at something,
- Looking busy by pulling a face.
- Straining yourself to lift something then discovering it was really light, then possibly jarring your back because it was too easy.
Much of our pain comes from an activity that we did and you probably did the activity not in a very conscious way.
Pain is your body shouting really loudly to STOP doing it that way!
There is a way to stop most pain and that is to learn how to do things consciously. Meditation and other modalities will help; you can even learn consciousness on your own. It’s relatively easy to have a high level of consciousness when being still or working through a directed activity; the real test of consciousness is when we undertake your familiar activities whilst maintaining a high level of consciousness. This embodied use of yourself will reduce the risk of pain and possible injury.
Alexander Technique teachers are trained to be your mirror to help you see when you loose your embodiment; then offer ways to regain it. More so, we teacher you to realize that embodiment is available to you and everyone; it is only a conscious choice that many never realize they have this choice. I’ve found that many are very resistant to discovering there own embodied consciousness; I guess they are comfortable with their pain and beliefs; their pain is who they are but is it really?
Little do they know life is a whole lot better without the restrictions of pain and doubt?
- Doubt stops investigation and experimentation,
- Doubt keeps you where your are,
- Doubt keeps you safe or so you think,
- Doubt will stop you rediscovering the freedom and ease you had when you were a child.
- Doubt has loaded you with pain by continually holding you back mentally and physically.
By improving your embodied consciousness doubt has less control over what you think and do; life becomes joyous and fun, the things you thought were troublesome melt away to nothingness. Please believe me this has happened to me and through applying the Alexander Technique.
If you live or work around Gloucestershire or the Forest of Dean please seek me out so I can teach you what I’ve learnt.
Life will be as it is but a whole lot better.